Sunday, March 28, 2010

Spring and then some

With the change in the weather it seems like spring may have finally arrived! Spring is a time of change, a change of seasons, and the beginning of some very important changes in my life; namely, the beginning of the final quarter of my high school career, and the beginning of my path towards college and "real life". I admit I have mixed feelings about these changes. I'm quite excited about what is essentially the beginning of my independent life; however, it also feels me with intense apprehension. I'll be leaving behind many of the comfortable barriers that have cushioned me from the true blows of life. I'll be moving on to college, moving out of my house, and living away from my parents and family. I'll be missing friends that I have had for years, and who have helped and supported me throughout my school years. In the words of Marty Mcfly, this is heavy stuff. However, more nerve wracking, as well as more exciting, is the fact that I could conceivably be sending in my mission papers in only six months, and leaving on a mission in only nine. The idea is frankly kind of terrifying. I could be going to a foreign country, speaking a foreign language, knowing literally no one, and then living for the next two years without seeing my family or friends. Fortunately it's all well worth it. The flip side of it is, I could be living in a foreign country, learning a new language, getting to know and love the people of that country, and preaching and spreading the joy of the Gospel of Christ for two years. Not a bad trade off. It'll be an amazing experience, and in truth I can't wait! There's nothing that I'd rather be doing with my life at this time than preaching the Gospel. I've witnessed the joy it brings into people's lives, and that witness has only made me more eager to go forth and tell the world of the wondrous news of Christ's atonement and resurrection! Though I may not feel quite ready for the changes that lie ahead, I trust that "He whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies." With the Lord's help nothing is impossible. So bring on the change.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

DCroft! I'm surprised you've seen Back to the Future, but I admire your McFly quoting skills. Keep up the good work bro, we're all in this piece together

Rach said...

Joe, we've seen that movie about a billion times at my house! That is all. :)