Friday, September 24, 2010

Ode to Chemistry

Chemistry, the stereocenter of my eye? I think not,
For when I think of you, what do I see?
Propyl chains, and methyl groups, endless chemistry.
Carbon chains from floor to ceiling,
Mirror images, right and left, and all these things
Speak death, as well do Cyclo-rings.

And what does it matter, in the end,
If I can tell one type from the other?
For what am I? Merely a humble bio major.
I study life in all its realms, all but its chemistry.
I know the cell, from its end to start,
and of breathing lungs and beating hearts.

For in the end, what does it matter
If one methylene is different from another?
Biology is what governs life,
and not Chemistry with all its strife!
So I end my ode to you, most loathsome Chemistry.
I think I'll go and learn what they call Biology.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha I'm rooming with a nerd!

Rach said...

Let's talk about 16 years of that Joe. :P

Whitney Baum said...

That's not nerdy that's genius! Awesome derek! :)

Derek said...

Thanks Whitney! I'm glad Somebody appreciates me! haha