Monday, July 20, 2009

wildflowers, death, The Fray, and the shock of my life

This past Saturday was a busy one, I began the day by waking up around seven o'clock to prepare myself for a day up in the mountains. Now if you know me at all I'm sure you know that I love being outside, particularly in the mountains. I love hiking and camping and all that good stuff, so Saturday I set out to help my good buddy Brad by doing a little service up at Alta where we would be leading wildflower walks for little kids through the basin. Now like I said before I'm an outdoorsy kind of guy, but still it shocked me how many kids actually wanted to go on a 45 minute walk just to look at flowers, sorry but that would definitely have not been my choice of activity when I was a little kid, I mean they're flowers! Anyways we led a few groups on these wildflower walks doing our best to pretend like we knew what we were talking about, in reality we had only learned the names of these flowers a week ago :), consequently we had some parents that knew a lot more than we did, which was kind of embarrassing, still it was a good service project and it was fun to hang with my buddies Brad and Joe, while spending a morning up in the mountain sun and air. After we finished the wildflower walk I headed back home and relaxed for maybe an hour or two, after that it was time to face what I'd been dreading the whole day, my 10 mile run. I really should've woken up earlier, but unfortunately that just wasn't possible, you see I have this disorder that requires that I sleep until at least seven on a Saturday, anyways, I was punished for this disorder by running at 3 o'clock in the afternoon, admittedly one of the stupidest things I've ever done. Ten miles in the heat is not something I would ever recommend. Running on the hot pavement was torture and it took me a loooong time to finish. I'm ashamed to say it but I had to stop for sprinkler breaks and such, it was just too hot. But I survived, slightly redder than before, but alive, barely. Almost immediately after I left to attend The Fray at the USANA ampitheater. It was a way fun concert and I was introduced to a lot of their songs that I'd never heard before, It was a really good concert and I'm glad I got to go there with some of my buds! After that we headed home and as I was driving home after a quick Ice cream break I had the shock of my life! I was driving along minding my own business, not speeding or anything and all of a sudden I looked out my back window and what did I see, the red and blue flashing lights of a police car. Needless to say I quickly gunned the car and made a quick break for it, there was no way I was going to be ticketed and get my license taken away! ha ha not really I pulled over, the whole time thinking that I was in major trouble. Having never been pulled over I didn't know the proper procedure, I rolled down my window and craned my head out of it trying to see if the officer was coming. When we finally came out of his car he came over to me and in a gruff voice said that I had to put both hands on the wheel and that I had to look straight forward because I'd made him nervous by looking out my window. He then proceeded to tell me.... I'd forgotten to turn my headlights on! I quickly turned them on and explained the car I was driving wasn't the one I normally drove and my car turned the lights on automatically. He took the explanation and then proceeded to ask me if I'd been drinking.... Hm not sure why he asked me that, but I answered no and then he let me go, no ticket, he didn't even ask for my license! Needles to say I was shaking for about a half hour afterward... And that was my little adventure, it was quite a day.

3 comments:

Andres Bosque said...

hahaha no way dude! the police story is crazy, i wouldve been way nervous too. youre too good of a kid to be pulled over!
oh my gosh... derek you are crazy. 3 in the afternoon! thats suicide!

jCroft(y) said...

Hmm... sunburn from running at 3pm = red face = you must have looked slightly drunk. I don't think I will ever be able to keep myself from laughing when I hear this story... :)

Brad said...

Good day my friend. Hahaha i still feel so bad, can't believe you were pulled over! Thanks for the ride :) And for helping out with the wildflower fest :)