Monday, July 27, 2009

To yield or not to yield, that is the question

Facebook. A craze that has swept the nation, membership ranging anywhere from 8 to 9 year olds to the aged senior. Yet, still I have managed to refrain from joining the so called "social" networking site. However, I am ashamed to say I have recently seriously considered joining. I know it's crazy, thinking of yielding to the pressures that society has created is unthinkable, yet here I sit, thinking... You see the unfortunate truth is there are some advantages to facebook, one that particularly caught my eye was when my sister advertised her blog on her facebook and promptly got 40 page views in one day, a feat I don't think I have yet achieved. Then there's also the added publicity of photos, which I would like feedback on, I like improving on my photography, but that's only possible if people actually tell me if it's good or not, it's hard to be completely objective on your own work. And of course there's the small but obvious benefit, staying in touch with all your friends, close, and not so close, as well as getting a different view into the lives they lead. Those are the advantages. However, there are also several clear disadvantages to be had with facebook, and I'm not talking about the supposed security breaches, although if any of you are wondering my social security number is xxx-xx-xxxx, it's more a matter of time. Facebook, as I have witnessed myself, can turn into somewhat of an obsessive habit causing people to forget eating, bathing, and even how to speak out loud. Obviously it doesn't have to be used obsessively, but there still remains that fact that it can be addictive. I don't want to waste my time on facebook, and the easiest way to keep from doing that is by not having one at all. But again, it can be controlled, the only problem is controlling it. That's the biggest disadvantage, but there are some smaller ones. For instance, my sisters could easily spy on me :), apparently they already do that, how they managed to gain access to so many of my friends on facebook is beyond me, but apparently they enjoy spying on me whenever a picture of me happens to pop up. I don't know, it's weird. :) And yes I was just joking, but not about the spying, that's just not a real reason, again it's mostly about the time. So, To yield or not to yield, that is the question.

4 comments:

jCroft(y) said...

The bandwagon is waiting, little brother. It's WaItInG for YOU. Resistance is futile.

Brad said...

haha like jessica said, resistance is futile. Plus it is pretty fun, much less addicting than blogger ;)

Anonymous said...

I love that you express your outrage at pressure to do popular things on a blog, aren't they the facebooks of a few years ago?

Derek said...

ha ha I was wondering if anyone would notice the irony of this post, I called blogging a craze when I started it as well :) And you're probably right Brad, again the irony :) and Jessica I find it funny that I used a Shakespearean reference and used Star Trek. Just saying.