Monday, February 9, 2009

A still lake

I had a sort of epiphany I guess you could call it on Sunday and I meant to post it before now but I kind of forgot...
Anyways on Sunday in church there was a talk where the speaker said something about how we can only hear the spirit when our hearts our still. Immediately the image of a still lake crossed my mind and I made this analogy. Our spirits and hearts are very much like a lake. At times it can be turbulent with speedboats, water skiers, and other such distractions distorting and disturbing the lake. These speedboats are the world and its influences acting upon our hearts. The spirit by contrast is a pebble. A pebble dropped into a lake creates small ripples that can clearly be seen on a still and placid lake. However, if the lake is disturbed by constant other outward influences it becomes nigh impossible to discern the spirit's ripples from all the other waves of the world. Thus in order to be most in tune with the spirit and be able to witness its ripples moving across and causing subtle changes in our hearts we must keep it calm and still, devoid of worldly influences that would seek to disrupt and overpower the still small voice of the spirit.
It's a basic principle, but I liked the analogy.
(the picture isn't mine by the way, it's off the internet)

3 comments:

Jeffrey Bennett said...

Yeah, the picture is actually off one of the previous EFY themes, I think.

But, yes, I've been thinking about that for a while, wondering why I haven't been getting as much spiritual promptings as I used to. I came to the conclusion that my life was just too hectic. Sadly, I have not yet found a way to slow it all down.

Thanks for posting this!

Anna said...

This is really incredible, Derek. Thank you very much for posting it.

Rach said...

That's is SO cool Derek, not bad for a brother, I was wondering why you drew that pictures during sacrament meeting :)