Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Apparent Addiction

My sister seems determined to associate running with an addiction. And in a way it's true. Just about everyone I know that has begun running has become almost instantly "addicted". It's something that "once you pop you just can't stop". There's no real way to explain why it is that people love the sport. I mean you can, but at the same time you can't. It's painful. You run and your body screams at you, your legs and lungs burn, and more often than not you throw up after a hard workout or race. Not something that most people would call enjoyable. Yet despite the pain we remain hooked on the sport. Some people may say it's the endorphins, but I can honestly say I've never felt the so called "runner's high". Yet I want to run, I want to run everyday and when I can't, or I'm not permitted to, it's really frustrating. Even if I'm only missing an easy workout, I genuinely miss it, and amazingly enough I miss the harder, more painful workouts, even more. So we run, we embrace the pain, and we keep going, maybe we really are addicted... It's something we do, and it has become a very very integral part of who I am, without running I don't know really what I'd do, or what kind of person I'd be, it's helped define me, and helped me discover in part who I am, and what kind of stuff I'm made of. So I guess you could say running is an addiction, but at least it's an addiction that makes the person better than they were before, at least I think it does. So give it a try, everybody's doing it :)

5 comments:

Rach said...

Also... running is legal.

Aoi Sakura said...

I just went and ran. It was good. Especially for not having ran since the end of cross country season. :)

Anonymous said...

I would suppose that perhaps you are addicted to running. And deep within the your mind, you are aware of this addiction, though consciously you are not. And though you don't realized it, every time you run, you are really trying to run away from this addiction. Only you are caught in a trap. An endless cycle if you will, (though you are not a cyclist). For the act of running away perpetuates this addiction, and so you wind up each time where you started, only more addicted. Now if it were me, I'd try a wheel chair. Its slows life down really fast, (if its possible to slow down fast...which I think it is possible because I can use the brakes on my car to slow me down quickly.....not that I am speeding, for that would not be right except in certain circumstances which I'm sure any officer would disagree with me on.

Anonymous said...

PS
Its late and my mind has left me a long time ago. I would run after it, but I fear the addiction, so I will use my wheel chair.

PPS
I will admit I ran a 12 minute mile yesterday and I came away not feeling addicted at all. My body, lungs, and dizziness told me so. My immune system must be working.

Derek said...

hahahaha I love it troy!