Monday, July 19, 2010

Vacation: Tonopah, Yosemite, and 15 long hours

This past week me and my family went on a vacation! It was great to get some time off work and spend time just having fun with the fam. So here's the first part of our vacation. We woke up early Monday morning, somewhere around three or four in order to head off to California. Little did we realize how long the drive would be! Normally a drive to Disneyland is only ten hours, but we decided to take the long way around, and amazingly enough, it was more than worth it. The first memorable stop on that 15 hour drive was a small town called Tonopah. Yeah, you've probably never heard of it, pretty sure no one has. Suffice it to say, it was possibly the creepiest town I've ever been in. It was a small town with kind of a weird feel to it. We only saw people who were drunk or smoking, no small children... I wonder why... Beyond the slightly strange population, it had the creepiest building I have ever had the terrible opportunity to witness, THE CLOWN MOTEL! (Appropriate Scary Music)



We ended up staying about an hour in Tonopah, I have no idea how that managed to happen, we think the clowns had something to do with it. From there we continued our drive to possibly the most beautiful place on Earth, Yosemite National Park! We didn't stay long, we mostly just drove through it, but I was in awe for the vast majority of the time. I'm pretty sure I could live there my whole life, it's beautiful!


Those are just a few of the pictures we have, it's an amazing place! We then continued our long drive through long and winding roads, which resulted in a couple bouts of car sickness from members of the family... Eventually we made it to our destination for the night, Sequoia National Park! We set up our tent in the dark, had a close run in with a bear, and then went to bed. I slept for a couple hours under the stars, until it got too cold. The stars were incredibly clear, and I even saw a satellite crawling its way across the sky, and a shooting star. Not a bad night. And since this post is getting a little long, I'll save more for later. And Part 2, is freaking awesome!

3 comments:

Brad said...

Haha what an excellent adventure!! I think we should take a yosemite road trip sometime this fall, it looks so extreme! haha!

Ali said...

haha wow, Derek! That sounds like quite the adventure! ;) I am glad you had fun with your family (I really miss that!)... beautiful pictures!

Derek said...

Brad: Dude we definitely should! It's so amazing! haha and we are definitely going to live there, hermiting it up!
Ali: haha oh it was quite intense! Probably not as great of an adventure as touring Europe for six weeks though ;) but I definitely could see missing your fam. When do you get back?