Monday, March 9, 2009

Ah, sweet nostalgia

My mom found this picture today, and ah, what good memories it brings back, I can remember it all like it was yesterday. It was six years ago, Brad and I were debate partners in the fifth grade in Mrs. Sudbury's class. Frankly put, we dominated the house! At the school competition we went 3-0 beating out a lot of the sixth graders to move on to... THE REGION COMPETITION! We were so excited, and as you can see quite serious about the whole deal. I insisted that we both wear ties and be as professional as possible, I thought we were really grown up. So we trekked off to the region competition, I think that it was actually at Alta High School. There we assembled our binders and notecards of hard earned knowledge and studied up on our speeches ready to conquer our debating foes! As you can see good old Brad is there practicing his speech in that very picture! ha ha I even remember getting that water bottle that's sitting there next to me! Then we headed off to our three debates, we went 1-2, we didn't go on, but it was still a party! I specifically remember one debate, we were facing these two girls that were, frankly put, liars! Everytime they got up to speak their rebuttals for our arguments were all lies, they said that we hadn't given any sources, which we had, and that we didn't know what we were talking about, which we did. It got me rather riled up and I started talking to Brad, about how big of liars they were and acting rather unprofessional during their speeches. I'm pretty sure that lost us the debate, even though we were better debaters, it was rather sad, sorry Brad! Still it was a good time, me and Brad made a good team and it was a real party! Unfortunately the next year they didn't let us be partners again but I went 3-0 at school, but for some reason I didn't go on, Brad did though, and that was pretty much the end of my official debating career, though in classes I have done some debating as well. So there you go, a little adventure from my elementary school days, there were a lot of them, maybe sometime later I'll give you a little post about my favorite elementary school game, Ding Ball! Oh, and Paige, maybe I will do mock trial, this little picture has reminded me how much I really did enjoy debate, though now I probably wouldn't be too good, it has been like five years! And check out Brad's post on elementary school and our little adventure!

3 comments:

Brad said...

hahahaha we both mentioned DING BALL!!

Jeffrey Bennett said...

Ah, you guys had it good in elementary school. Wish I could say the same.

They do history fair in Ms. Sudbury's 6th grade class now... why couldn't we have done History Fair?

Rach said...

don't you mean... "Ah sweet... lethargia? He he he