Thursday, October 23, 2008

State!!!

Well, the main event of Cross Country occurred on Oct. 22nd, the State Championships! The team has been working for that day for a long time, try 5 months, and for some of us for a year! It was definitely worth all the hard work and effort we put into it! Our team did really well, we finished 4th out of the 5A schools in the state! We had amazing performances by everyone, particularly two of our runners that finished in the top 20, out of something like 120! Jason Lynch ran the race of his life running a 15:44 at the state course to finish.... SECOND!!! Yep our own Jason Lynch finished second in the 5A State Cross Country Championship Race! Daniel was our other top 20 finisher finishing 19th with an insane time of 16:24!! Josh Kennedy finished 28th with another freaking amazing time of 16:34! Matt Lynch finished 55th with a time of 17:05! I finished 74th with a time of 17:20 (there you go Andrew, I mentioned myself :)! Kevin Lynch A FRESHMAN finished 80th with a time of 17:28! And Brad Marshall finished 84th with a time of 17:37! It was an amazing year, and we just about all got our fastest times of the year! Oh, and by the way, 3 of us our juniors (Daniel, me, and Brad), and TWO ARE SOPHOMORES (Josh and Matt), and one is A FRESHMAN (Kevin), and of course Jason is our Senior, the capitan (spelled that way on purpose)! Our sophomores and freshman have really shocked me, and to use our coaches saying "Shocked the world!" They're amazing runners, and for all of them, and Brad as well, this is their first year running cross country, that's pretty amazing! It was an amazing race, and we're looking forward to track as well as next year of cross country, we're going to work our hardest and perform to our best, and well, we'll see what happens, and whatever it is, it's going to be good, we have a great group of guys! And I'd like to give a big thanks to our alternates Ryan Gregorson and Andrew Forrest! Those guys are awesome, they ran with us every day after Region even though they might not get to run! Thanks a bunch guys!

This race was especially important to me because I learned a little bit more about myself, as well as what it takes to be a good racer. Similar to Andrew's realizations at region my happened at State. In a way I conquered myself I finally believed I was capable of running well, and well when you believe good things happened, I PR'd! I definitely still have a lot of room for improvement, but I started to make some steps towards figuring myself out, as well as figuring out how to race. It was a race of realization. The source of my inspiration? Check out this video at YouTube, it's inspiring! Go Bill Mills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlF4OdDZnLE

2 comments:

Rach said...

"did I ever tell you you're my hero!!" You did awesome Derek! Way to run... maybe some day I'll join you... although it's not likely... but you never know Stucki did say he was like a tide... I don't know if he'll ever be able to wear me away though!

Andres Bosque said...

Billy Mills it Derek! What a fantastic race, and I'm glad you made the realization and are overcoming yourself. You are such an awesome kid and great friend.